Bigelow Analytical Services
Putting Advanced Technology to Work
The Bigelow Analytical Services (BAS) Facility is located on Bigelow Laboratory’s Ocean Science and Education Campus in East Boothbay, Maine. The state‐of-the-art facility provides analytical services to public and private entities. This advanced technology is available to local, national, and international researchers in all fields of study including marine chemistry, aquaculture, pharmacy, and fisheries. Our experienced scientists and technicians provide the highest quality testing in a timely manner.
Bigelow Analytical Services include:
- HPLC (including photodiode array and fluorescence detection and post-column oxidation approaches)
- LC-QQQ-MS (LC with triple-quadrupole mass-spectrometer)
- LC-TOF-MS (LC with time-of-flight mass spectrometer, including DART ion source)
- EA-IRMS (elemental analyser coupled to an isotope ratio mass spectrometry)
- Confocal microscope
- Scanning electron microscope
- Nutrient analyses:nitrate, nitrite, silicate, phosphate, and ammonia
Areas of analysis include:
- Microalgal nutritional value, including PUFA, osmolyte and pigment composition and elemental ratios)
- Biotoxin analysis, including PSP, ASP and DSPs.
- Stable isotope analysis, including 13C and 15N tracer approaches.
- Microscopy including virus morphology and coccolith structure.
BAS is open to requests for new approaches and analyses. Please email Dr. Steve Archer for more information. Click the links at the top of the page for more details on BAS services.