Senior Research Scientist
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
60 Bigelow Drive
PO Box 380
East Boothbay, ME 04544
Phone: 202 747 3255 x305
Fax: 202 747 3257
- B.A., Marine Biology, Universidad de Concepción, 1981
- M.S.,Biological Oceanography, Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), Univ. California San Diego (UCSD),1984
- Ph.D.,Biological Oceanography, SIO, UCSD,1988
Research Interests I am interested in ocean and atmospheric interactions, especially in oceanic sulfur cycling and the biological production and consumption of organic sulfur and halogenated compounds. I am also interested in the physiological ecology of phytoplankton as a source (aquatic respiration) and a sink (primary production) of CO2. We have focused on these topics primarily in polar regions and particularly in the Arctic Ocean. We utilize state-of-the-art analytical tools ranging from autonomous buoys to sea going gas chromatographs and extrapolate our results to regional and global scales using data from satellites, ships, and/or scientific databases.
- Bailey K. E., Toole D. A., Blomquist B., Najjar R. G., Heubert B., Kieber D. J., Kiene R. P., Matrai P., Westby G., and Del Valle D. A. 2008. Dimethylsulfide production in Sargasso Sea eddies. Deep-Sea Research (II), 55:1491– 1504.
- Gabric A.J., P.A. Matrai, R.P. Kiene, R. Cropp, J. Dacey, J DiTullio, R. Najjar, R Simó, D.A. Toole, D.A. Del Valle, and D. Slezak. 2008. Factors determining the vertical profile of dimethylsulfide in the Sargasso Sea during summer. Deep-Sea Res. II 55:1505– 1518.
- Matrai, P.A., L. Tranvik, C. Leck, and J. Knulst. 2007. Are high Arctic microlayers a potential source of aerosol organic precursors? Mar. Chem., 108:109–122
- Matrai, P.A., M. Vernet and P. Wassmann. 2007. Relating temporal and spatial patterns of DMSP in the Barents Sea to phytoplankton biomass and productivity. J. Mar Systems 67(1-2): 87-101.
- Matrai, P.A., B. Thompson and M.D. Keller. 2005. Alexandrium spp. from eastern Gulf of Maine populations: Circannual excystment of resting cysts. Deep-Sea Res. II, 52, 2560-2568.
- Sæmundsdóttir, S. and P.A. Matrai. 1998. Methyl bromide production by phytoplankton cultures, Limnol. Oceanogr., 43:81-87.
- Matrai, P. A., M. Vernet, R. Hood, A. Jennings, S. Sæmundsdóttir and E. Brody. 1995. Light- dependent production of DMS and carbon incorporation by polar strains of Phaeocystis spp. Mar. Biol, 124:157-167.
- Matrai, P. A. and R. W. Eppley. 1989. Particulate organic sulfur in the waters of the Southern California Bight. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 3:89-103.