IN THE NEWS: Hearing Held for New Bigelow Laboratory Facility in East Boothbay (The Boothbay Register, October 15, 2009)
EAST BOOTHBAY, ME -- Executive Director Graham Shimmield addressed a full house at the Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences informational hearing showcasing building plans on Thursday evening, October 8 at the East Boothbay Fire Station.
The director introduced Steve Malcom, chairman of the board of trustees for the new facility, Danielle Betts, designer overseeing the acquisition of permits, and Terry J. DeWan, the landscape architect at the informational meeting. Architects for the building process are WBRC Architects and Engineers; Perkins and Will Architects.
Goals for the Bigelow organization were presented as follows:
1. Expression of world class science
2. Campus plan that enables Bigelow’s vision and optimizes land use; stewardship and sus-tainability
3. Strong scientific and support community with connectivity and interaction among all staff
4. Harmony, integration with natural environment
5. Comfortable "fit" within East Boothbay