NEW: Driving Directions to Bigelow Laboratory's Ocean Science and Education Campus in East Boothbay
- From Route 1 in Edgecomb (going North or South) - Take Route 27 South toward Boothbay.
- Travel 10.8 miles to Boothbay Harbor.
- Take a left onto Route 96/Ocean Point Rd at the traffic lights at Hannaford Shopping Center.
- Travel 2.8 miles on Route 96 – going past the East Boothbay General Store and Murray Hill Road on the right.
- On the left, watch for the Consigli-Bigelow sign at approximately 300 Ocean Point Road.
- Turn left and follow the paved drive to the parking area.
- The physical address is 60 Bigelow Drive, situated at the physical coordinates 43.85938, -69.582049.
- NOTE: The Laboratory does not yet appear on the satellite maps provided by Google (see below). Bigelow Laboratory is currently situated among the forested lot east of Route 96 in the map below.
Driving Directions to Bigelow Laboratory in West Boothbay Harbor (180 McKown Point Road) from Portland
- Take Interstate 295 north out of Portland.
- Take the Route 1 exit to Brunswick (exit 28), Coastal Route, about 24 miles. At the third traffic light Rt. 1 is a left turn. Follow Rt. 1 north about 20 miles to Route 27 South, just after Wiscasset.
- Drive approximately 12 miles down the peninsula, passing through Edgecomb, Boothbay, and Boothbay Harbor. Stay on Route 27 South, following the signs for Southport and the Hospital.
- About 1 mile past St. Andrew's Hospital is a four way intersection. McKown Point Road is the left turn at that intersection.
- Turn left on to McKown Point Road. (If you go over a large, green, steel-deck swing bridge, you've gone too far on Route 27 and you are in Southport. Turn around and turn right at the 4 way intersection.)
- Bigelow Laboratory is past Blake's Boat Yard. The administration building is on the right at 143 McKown Point Road. The main building is on the left past the Coast Guard Facility.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences, East Boothbay, Maine
Getting to Bigelow Laboratory Without a Car
There is an express bus from Logan airport, Boston to Portland, Maine that runs about every hour. There is also a Maine Coastal Route bus. See: http://www.concordcoachlines.com/maine_bus_schedule.htm
The bus station in Portland is near the airport, but is not easy walking distance; taxicab service is available between the airport and the bus station.
From Portland check transportation services at: www.portlandjetport.org/transportation.asp
A Boothbay region taxi also makes trips to Portland and can meet the Portland bus as it stops in Wiscasset or Damariscotta. Bobo's Coastal Cabs: 207-380-4142.